Primary Purpose & Essential Job Duties
The Software Designer reports directly to the Director of Business and Product Development and is responsible for investigating and presenting emerging technologies, identifying new product opportunities, establishing parameters for product direction/design, analyzing complex software development requirements, and designing and preparing complex detailed specifications, based on written procedures, from which programs will be written or enhanced to meet specified needs. The essential job duties include:
- Develops Specifications for moderately complex software programming applications and modifies/maintains the existing software.
- Develops, modifies and maintains applications that may be customized or standardized.
- Maintains and modifies existing applications without supervision as well as under direction from senior staff members.
- Writes structured application/interface code from specifications confirming to established methodology and standards.
- Conducts unit test of either new or modified applications. Participates in code reviews to represent reviewed work for adherence to standards and specifications.
- Designs/codes applications following specifications using the appropriate tools.
- Performs custom programming at client request.
- Performs product deviation analysis.
- Reviews enhancement requests and troubleshoots potential application anomalies.
Other Job Duties
- This position will participate with other staff members to contribute to and support the corporate goals, business plan, standard operating procedures and Corporate Quality Policy, and thus requires personal and professional integrity and work ethics.
Qualifications and Experience
- 4+ years of experience in system architecture and design including object-oriented design, data structures and algorithm design. Must have a working knowledge of computer programs and systems, software development methods and design, as well as working knowledge of areas such as: mainframe operating systems (OSs), JAVA, APIs, modern web frameworks, structured system analysis, report writing and relational databases.
- A regulatory or medical device background desirable.
- Working knowledge of IBM iSeries, RPG and DB2 desirable.
- Working knowledge of Scrum methodology desirable.
- A BA/BS in computer science or related field or equivalent.
Additional relevant experience above the minimum may be accepted in lieu of education.
Blood Bank Computer Systems, Inc. (BBCS) is located in Auburn, WA with a mission to serve the health care industry around the country through integrated technologies and unwavering support solutions. BBCS currently supports the blood and tissue industry in 18 states.
BBCS is looking for positive, passionate people to join our team. We offer competitive benefit packages including: Health Benefits, Profit Sharing, 401k matching, Paid Time Off, and the employee favorite half day Fridays during the summer.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.